- This event has passed.
Building Skills in Group Therapy
November 10, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Friday, November 10, 2017 • 8 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
6 CEU Hours for LPC and Social Work
This workshop will focus on leadership skills such as cutting off, drawing out, use of eyes, holding and shifting the focus, clarity of purpose, varying the format, use of exercises, and creative use of theory. An active group leadership model will be presented. Creative exercises will be discussed and demonstrated. This fast-moving workshop shows how counselors can use a multi-sensory approach with their groups which will make the groups more interesting and more helpful. Counselors will be shown new ways to be creative during the warm-up, working, and closing stages of a group session. Also discussed will be ways to energize a group. Also shown will be how to involve the group when working with one member.
The participants will be instructed on how to have more impact with their members in each session.
• Participants will be shown an active, multi-sensory leadership model.
• Participants will be taught how to take their members to a deeper working level by using creative techniques.
• Participants will be shown how to use creative exercises to make group sessions more interesting.
• Participants will be shown techniques for drawing out and cutting off members.
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• List at least ten skills for leading groups.
• List specific leadership skills for each of the three phases of a session.
• List specific skills for dealing with difficult group situations.
For more information
Contact Valerie Hutson, MA, LPC, ALPS at
304-969-3128 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and registration
Cost is $50. Students receive a 50% discount.
Register by November 4th
Mail registration/check to Valerie Hutson at
3 Hospital Plaza, Clarksburg, WV
Schedule of events:
8:00 a.m. Check in/Registration
8:30 a.m. Introduction to Impact Therapy
Introduction to Group Leadership
9:30 a.m. 15 Minute Break
9:45 a.m. Common Mistakes, Therapeutic Forces, Leadership Skills, Demonstrations
10:45 a.m. 15 Minute Break
11:00 a.m. Leadership Skills, Planning: Creative Exercises/Props/ Chairs
12:00 p.m. Lunch Provided
12:45 p.m. Rounds: Movement Exercises, Written Exercises, Other Creative Exercises
1:45 p.m. 15 Minute Break
2:00 p.m. Cutting Off and Drawing Out, Demonstrations Dealing with Difficult Situations
3:00 p.m. 15 Minute Break
3:15 p.m. Group Discussion, Questions, Summary
4:15 p.m. End of Day
3 Hospital Plaza, Clarksburg, WV 26301
304-969-3100 • highlandclarksburghospital.com
Highland-Clarksburg Hospital is an equal opportunity provider and employer.